Friday, March 11, 2011

Wendy's Chili Seasoning

If you're like me and you enjoy Wendy's chili, you've probably gotten a packet or 2 of their chili seasoning. I have always loved this stuff and it certainly makes their chili much better. Especially if you can get a few more packets, if you ask. But I have always been a guy that likes my chili to be more full-flavored. So about a year or so ago, I sought out to make my own "Wendy's chili seasoning." So after a few experiments, I think I found a close recipe to it. Here's how it goes:

2  12-oz. bottles regular hot sauce ( I used Crystal hot sauce this last time)
approx. 1.5 oz. ground cumin
approx. 1/2 cup  dried chopped garlic
approx. 1/3 cup dried chopped onions



You'll also need:
one large bottle with a very tight lid...I use an old 1.75 liter bourbon bottle that has a very tight cork in it

(note: I get my cumin, garlic, and onion at Big Lots)

Put all the ingredients together into your bottle and shake it up well to combine it all very well.

Let this steep for at least one week or longer. Shake the bottle whenever you think about it, but the more you shake it, the better your results will be, in my opinion.

You can then either use this as a finishing sauce on your chili after it's served, or you can use it as an extra seasoning in your chili while it is cooking, which I prefer.

I suppose you could use garlic powder and onion powder, but I have not tried that...I like the bits of garlic and onion in my finished chili.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment